Quick weekend getaways are not ideal…But being limited on time, we made the best out of the time visiting Portland, Oregon. The wife & I arrived on a Friday morning and departed Sunday. With a short amount of time, we made sure time was spent wisely on the best things to see & do in Portland.
For us – flying from San Francisco, the flight is only a short 1.5 hours away. We landed in the morning and still had the entire day to explore, plus the weekend. Here are the highlights from the trip:
- Eating! Amazing variety of cuisine that is available around the city. The best stops were:
- Stumptown Coffee (PDX airport): strong cold brew coffee to start the day
- Deschutes Brewery: located in downtown, quality pub food and beers to match
- Salt & Straw Ice Cream: By far the hometown favorite for a summer treat after dinner
- Adler Street Food Cart: Every ethnic cuisine you can think of within a city block – all served from food carts!
- Multnomah Falls: a brisk 30-mile drive from downtown PDX, hike to the top of the waterfall which is a challenging 1.25 miles
- Powell Bookstore: Claims to be the world’s largest independent book (Yes, it is huge)
- Walking the Alberta neighborhood: Artsy and hipster neighborhood where many of the locals casually walk along at night.
Many more things we could have done if there was more time…I now regret not extending the trip by at least a day! Portland is a city where nature, urban living, & sustainability all collide. You can see it from the locals, they really care about the keeping the PDX vibe authentic while welcoming tourist like us. Whether you have a day or a week, Portland is definitely worth a visit!