Happy Earth Day!!! Today (April 22, 2017) marks the 47th celebration of Earth Day. Over 190+ countries observe Earth Day by organizing activities to promote conservation in their communities. In honor of Earth Day, here are 10 Facts about our Mother Earth:
- Earth is over 4.5 Billion Years old!
- 71% of the Earth’s surface is water, yet only less than 5% has been explored.
- The other 29% Earth’s surface is land which holds a human population of 7.1+ Billion people
- Most populated countries are:
- China: 1.38 Billion
- India: 1.34 Billion
- United States: 326 Million
- Indonesia: 263 Million
- Brazil: 211 Million
- The Earth is also home to over 8.7 Million different species of animals, both land and water.
- From WWF, it is estimated that 40% of wildlife has been lost over the last 40 years.
- Earth’s air consists mostly of Nitrogen (78%), followed by Oxygen (21%), and other gases.
- Estimated there are over 3 Trillion trees on Earth, that means 400 trees for each human.
- In 2016, the record was broken for Earth’s warmest recorded temperature. Average temperature in 2016 was 1.78 Fahrenheit higher than the century’s mean.
- Despite the growth in renewable energy, fossil fuels still power over 90% of the Earth’s energy.
There is still a lot to learn from Earth. Please be considerate to conserve our resources, so the many generations beyond ours can enjoy it too.
Make Today > Yesterday